The Student Theatre Association is calling students interested in any aspect of theater or creating performative work to be involved in New Play Fest!
What: New Play Fest Callout Meeting
When: Tues, Feb 7 from 4:30-6pm
Where: Green Room in the basement of Dreiser Hall
Who: Students interested in helping to produce creative work (music, dance, theater, etc) in any capacity (acting, musical composition, playwright, director, writer, management, artist, poet, etc)
At this meeting, we will:
• Go into depth about what New Play Fest is (including the theme!)
• Talk about how this year’s New Play Fest format will work
• Discuss important dates for tech and performances
• Get into groups according to interest
• Answer any and all questions or concerns!
If you are unsure if you want to be a part of New Play Fest or don’t exactly understand what it is, come to the meeting anyway and learn more about it! No pressure to get involved afterwards! Check out the Frequently Asked Questions below for more info.
What is New Play Fest?
• New Play is a fully produced show involving a collection of plays and other mediums (poems, music, dance, etc) put on by STA where everything is produced by students – writing, designing, directing, and acting!
• We are trying a new format this year and expanding the work that we produce to any kind of creative, performative work! Feel free to email Kristin to ask if the medium in which you are interested in is appropriate for New Play Fest.
• We will talk more about this format at the Callout Meeting.
What is the theme?
• The theme this year is “The 7 Deadly Sins”, voted on by STA members!
What roles are there?
• All roles are available! We are looking for actors, directors, playwrights, designers (sound, props, costumes, lights, and scenic), stage management, artists, creative people, musically inclined people, and more! There is a place for everyone!
What should I submit to be considered?
• Please come to the callout meeting! If you can’t make it, please send an email to Kristin Wentz at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
What is the time commitment?
• It varies from role to role. Designers will mostly do work on their own at the beginning and then show up for tech and the performance. Crew members will just need to be at the tech dates and performance date. Stage Management will be at most rehearsals. Creators will be at their group’s rehearsals and must be at tech and performance dates.
Do I need to provide any additional information?
• Yes, there will be a contact sheet to fill out at the meeting that asks about your emergency contacts, allergies, and availability/schedule.
What if I am very busy and worried about having time for rehearsals?
• Apply anyway! You can still be involved in creating work without having to be at every single rehearsal.
Have a question not listed here? Contact President Kristin Wentz at email@example.com!
Follow STA on Instagram @isustudenttheatre for regular updates or contact the email above to be put on the STA email list!