Important Tax and W-2 Reminder

As we begin the new year, some important reminders may help you prepare for the tax-reporting season:

Consent to Electronic W-2 or Verify Your Address for W-2 Mailing

ISU employees may consent to receive their IRS Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement in electronic form only by going to the ISU Portal. Instructions are located on the Payroll website under the “Electronic W-2” button: Consent must be given by January 14, 2021. Otherwise, Form W-2 will be mailed in late January to the mailing address of each ISU employee who has not consented to the electronic form. Your mailing address is displayed in the MyISU Portal in the Personal Information folder within the Self Service section. If your address is incorrect or is missing, please select “Update Addresses, Phone Email, Emergency Contact Information” to correct. For questions, contact Human Resources at extension 4114.

Review Your Tax Withholding Status for 2021

You may choose to file a new Form W-4 for federal withholding or new Form WH-4 for Indiana withholding if a status change is appropriate for tax year 2021. A change in status may be appropriate due to marriage, divorce, birth or adoption of a child, or a change in the dependent status of a child. However, you may wish to consult a tax professional for assistance in determining your correct federal and state withholding status. Your current federal and state withholding status is displayed in the lower section of your Pay Stub Detail in MyISU Portal under ‘Filing Status’.

Your Federal withholding status may now be updated through the ISU Portal, Employee Self-Service. Under Tax Forms select “W-2, W-4 or WH-4”. Select “W-4 Tax Exemptions or Allowances” and click “Update.” View the instructions and certify your changes. Your State withholding may also be updated here. Select “WH-4 State Tax Exemptions or Allowances” and click “Update WH-4.” View the instructions and update then confirm values to save your changes. Detailed instructions are located on the Payroll website: Federal and state withholding forms are also available on the Payroll web site located at or you may contact the Payroll Office at extension 3533 to request new withholding forms to be sent to you.

Update Your Indiana County of Residence When Moving

Remember that your county of residence as of January 1 determines your liability for county income tax each year. If you move from one Indiana County to another, you should complete a new Form WH-4 and stipulate your new county of residence.

  • Sponsoring Unit
    Office of Budget, Payroll and Risk Management